Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Radioactively Yours

The PET scan experience was interesting. After I took a seat in the “injection room”, John the PET scan technician explained what he was going to do. He then injected me with radioactive isotopes while telling me that it was important that I relax for the next 45 minutes so my body could more easily absorb them. I brought the NY Times to read but he didn’t want me to read. So, here’s the concept. Don’t read to relax, just close your eyes and think about the radioactivity flowing though your body. Makes sense to me………..As I left the building, I noticed my technicians outside grabbing a smoke break. Apparently, they are not looking at the scans of their patients.

Next was the bone marrow biopsy. Why do doctors feel the need to do a play-by-play analysis while they are doing the procedure? You’re going to feel a bee sting and then a burning sensation. Take deep breaths. Now we are going to insert a needle to extract the marrow fluid and….Mr. Drumm you’re taking too many breaths, we don’t want you to hyperventilate. Mr. Drumm, Mr. Drumm are you o.k.?? The next thing I know is I have an IV and a smoothie to get me going again. Mr. Drumm, this is what we extracted and this fluid and blood clot should be enough to give the info we need. Again, a note to all doctors, please don’t feel the need to show me anything that you have extracted from my body.

Betsey and I met with the hematologist/oncologist and were told that further testing showed I have Diffused Large B Cell Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma CD 20 Positive. The standard treatment for this type of cancer is R CHOP. Each letter stands for a chemical. The good news is this type of cancer normally reacts well to this treatment. I will start a chemotherapy treatment on May 28th. But first I need another test known as a MUGA scan which is yet another opportunity to be loaded up with radioactive isotopes to confirm that my heart can take the one of the chemicals. I’m feeling better already……

The chemo regimen consists of a 21 day cycle with day 1 consisting of a 4 to 5 hour session of being injected with one chemical that targets the bad cells and then day 2 is a 2 hour session with 3 chemicals that kills everything. Day 3 is a booster shot for the immune system. They tell me that I can expect very little nausea with this treatment but 10 days after the treatment, my white blood cells will decrease so I should experience fatigue and perhaps loss of appetite. Honestly, I can think of better ways to diet. It is estimated that I will have a minimum of 5 of these cycles perhaps as many as 8. Another PET scan will be given after 3 cycles to determine the progress of the chemotherapy. So, the adventure begins…………..

Rick

No comments:

Post a Comment